For 86 yrs the history of the Dubourgnoux household has been created with that of the cinemas of Montluçon (Allier)
Whether or not he's a cinephile or not, no a person in Montluçon is unaware of where by the Le Palace cinema is situated. Located at no. 30 Boulevard de Courtais, in the busiest element of the axis, the establishment is the final survivor of a wealthy cinematic historical past of the metropolis on the banks of the Cher.
A qualified opportunity for two young Clermontois
A story that is also that of a relatives for 86 years, the Dubourgnoux. It all began in 1936 when Joseph and Germaine Dubourgnoux acquired the Cinémonde, at amount 7 on the boulevard. The youthful pair will come from Clermont-Ferrand and has no connection with the world of cinema.
Frédéric Dubourgnoux, their nephew and recent owner of the Palace, sums it up soberly.
They had a skilled prospect in Montluçon and they took it.
The couple will hardly ever go away Montluçon all over again.
The household at the head of the palace considering that 1938
Two many years soon after their arrival, they bought the creating in 1938. They then became the managers of the 3rd cinema on the avenue, the Rex, situated at no. 50 (now Banque Populaire) which they acquired in 1961. Frédéric Dubourgnoux remembers the spot.
It had a huge staircase that led to a steeply sloping area. The monitor was massive. It was the very first cinema in Montluçon to be equipped with TODD, the most state-of-the-art audio process of the time.
Rooms with 900 seats
Right until 1987 the Palazzo had only one particular area.
At the conclude of the 1950s, all the cinemas in Montluçon, put in on the correct financial institution or on the left bank of the Cher, have been solitary theaters. The quantity of seats is breathtaking: 900 seats at the Palace, as many at the Rex, 700 at the Cinémonde, just to mention the golf equipment on the avenue. On the other hand, Frédéric Dubourgnoux recontextualizes the figures.
Acquire our leisure publication by electronic mail and uncover suggestions for outings and functions in your area.
In the 1950s and 1960s, cinema was one particular of the only hobbies. Folks didn't have televisions, few experienced automobiles. Attendance at the cinema has developed with modern society. Television has gradually proven by itself in residing rooms, with additional and far more channels. Family members experienced 1 vehicle and then in the 70s and 80s a second. Men and women are no lengthier on trip.
A city on the left lender of the Cher
Despite these modifications, Joseph and Germaine Dubourgnoux stay passionate professionals. They bought cinemas on the left lender of the Cher, Apollo in the 1960s, Paris in 1972.
He will work at the Palazzo in 1987
In excess of time, studios no for a longer time adapt to the wishes of the community who want extra choice. Though the Rex has been closed for a extensive time, it will be the change of the Cinémonde in 1987.
That yr, Frédéric Dubourgnoux, who experienced just taken about from his deceased grandfather, required to make the participation financially rewarding. He decides to shell out the Palace in a few rooms.
We closed previously this calendar year with the film Platoon and we reopened in October with The Bamba, goodbye small children et Comprehensive steel jacket.
The Palace as a result handed from 900 to 577 seats.
A working day at the Le Moderne bar, in the heart of the Boulevard de Courtais in Montluçon (Allier)
Five screens for Montluçon's latest cinema
In 2000, the manager experienced the option to grow his cinema thanks to the order of land powering his properties. He experienced two new rooms developed, bringing their quantity to five. The Palace then counted 663 seats. It grew to become Montluçon's only cinema when the Bourbons shut on Avenue de la République in 2009.
Record. The Dubourgnoux household also played frivolously on the look of the boulevard by building a developing following to the Palace. “There was a back garden suitable up coming to the cinema. My grandparents acquired it and experienced the developing built at 28 bis the place they then lived right up until their death. "