Journalist Bogdana Lazarova, screenwriter and director, finds a few images of the policeman from immediately after 1944 and people who try to remember him
Tsarist policeman Nikola Geshev, head of section "A" - the political law enforcement who prosecuted the then unlawful Bulgarian Communist Celebration, lived until eventually his loss of life in 1970 in Bulgaria. He was a trainer in the Pazardzhik village of Vinogradets - this sensational version is offered by investigative journalist Bogdana Lazarova in her author's documentary for BNT.
It is in two sections of 54 minutes - "Gesheva's Web" and "Gesheva's Riddle", and commences from the date of the law enforcement chief's disappearance - September 9, 1944. In the movie, witnesses who recall him from then until finally his death his .
Bogdana Lazarova tells "24 Chasa" how she arrived on the trail of Geshev.
- Mrs. Lazarova, what transpired to the royal policeman Nikola Geshev? The variation you display in your film is radically distinctive from everything recognized so far.
- Nikola Geshev was previous noticed on September 9, 1944. And he disappeared. There are a few most important variations of his destiny later on.
The 1st - that he was killed at the border in the Sviluppo area whilst attempting to flee to Turkey on 9 September 1944. Then it turned out that this variation was invented by the Condition Security. The largest affirmation is that DS himself is looking for him all above the globe in the "Aries" dossier.
The 2nd, who was killed in Kuklen Cheshma, south of Plovdiv, on 9 September 1944. Judging by his exploration, this model is obviously not correct both.
The third is that he survived. And here the rumors mail him around the planet: Turkey, Egypt, United states, Canada, Argentina and Brazil, but most normally in Monaco, where it is said that
concluded his everyday living in a guarded estate
Point out security has retained his relations less than surveillance and checked just about every rumor about his whereabouts. And they all turned out to be bogus. So, following 20 years of analysis in 1960, the DS stopped the research due to the fact no info could be observed about him.
According to the info that I existing in the movie with several testimonies of folks who remember him from 1944 onwards, 3 photographs of him that I discovered from then, graphological investigation and facial recognition, Nikola Geshev did not go away Bulgaria. All the although he lived in the Pazardzhik village of Vinogradets and worked as an elementary school trainer. Through all the 26 several years he lived there, he had no dwelling or home, he lived to start with in the dormitory attached to the school, then in a rented household. He died in 1970 and was buried in the village. He introduced a female with him as his wife, but she had no get hold of with anyone. Promptly just after her funeral, 3 vehicles arrive in the village and choose her somewhere. I found out that she was taken to a household for individuals with mental disabilities in the village of Bistrilitsa, Berkovitsa municipality, then Mihailovgradsko, now a Montana area, where she died 8 a long time afterwards.
- What is Geshev's community, how did you title the 1st series of your documentary?
- This is his network of agents, with whom he labored and reached such achievement, for which he is even now rumored to be the No. 1 in Bulgaria. As we know, he experienced prime agents on the Central Committee of the illegal Bulgarian Communist Occasion, and two times broke that Central Committee. It is recognised that only 196 of his private agents did she maintain in touch and only he knew their names. It is claimed that between them are the leaders of the Communist point out: Todor Zhivkov, Traicho Kostov, Mircho Spasov, Tsola Dragoycheva. There are also uncertainties that Grigor Shopov, Todor Zhivkov's appropriate-hand man and irreplaceable head of State Stability for 30 yrs, was his agent. In accordance to the members in the movie, Nikola Geshev labored with at the very least 2 international intelligence agencies: the British and the Soviet types. He unquestionably had a wonderful deal of data. Due to the fact the battle of Stalingrad in 1943, he was knowledgeable of the turning stage in the war and knew what would materialize in Bulgaria.
He had around a year to manage his disappearance
and its legend. The archive of him has not been located to this day.
- What is your mystery that you expose in the 2nd series?
- In fact, there are two mysteries. The to start with is what took place to him after his disappearance on 9 September 1944. This is by now apparent from my journalistic investigation into the film. On the other hand, the 2nd and most vital secret is the place his archive is and regardless of whether the leaders of the Communist condition had been seriously his agents. It stays to be uncovered. If one working day it was identified who his agents are and it was confirmed that these heads of point out were being his agents, he would rewrite the heritage of Bulgaria.
- Where are his archives, did you come across them?
- The individuals in the movie declare to have taken away his archive as early as July 1944 and sent it to the British Embassy in Turkey, where the archive remained for 4 years right until 1948. Then Kim Philby came on assignment at the embassy and identified his archive. Prior to sending him to London, he passes him to Moscow, exactly where they function at lightning velocity and recruit all his brokers. Having said that, I believe it truly is probable that he did not have precisely the type of archive we imagine, as it was all in his head and only he understood the names of all his brokers of him. Precisely for this rationale he himself is interested in the DS.
- Who is the girl following to Geshev?
- This is a further of the mysteries of this film. Equally lived underneath an assumed identify. I checked in the registers of 3 municipalities and also in the registers of the church: no youngsters ended up born with such names and there are no data of these kinds of individuals. Even though Geshev arrived with an appointment from Prosveta in Plovdiv
under the wrong identify of daskal Vasil Salamanov,
there is absolutely no information about the lady who is shown on the death certificate as Vasilka Salamanova. Even the people of the village did not know her title: they termed her Salamanitsa. And she failed to get hold of anybody and she did not leave the household. She is intended to be from Peshtera, but there is no information about these types of a individual there. Identification of her is quite complicated. There are some coincidences and it could be that he managed to preserve his spouse Veselina Gesheva and consider her with him. The dying certificates of Nikola and Veselina Geshevi ended up issued far more than 20 yrs following their disappearance in 1944, based on lawsuits for lacking persons.
- What created you search for information and facts on the cop?
- In actuality, I know he stayed in Bulgaria for 12 many years. Even then, 1 man or woman instructed me that in 1968 he was traveling on the Sofia-Stara Zagora prepare in the very same compartment with this particular person, who he claimed was Geshev, who received off at Pazardzhik station. At the time it appeared fictional to me. Very last year I resolved to look at this edition and luckily for us for me I located dwelling people who recall him and notify about him and his spouse. He was apprehensive not to be photographed and not to produce wherever, not to have his handwriting in the college guides so as not to be recognized. But I managed to discover his signature and 3 images in two destinations.
- Which of almost everything you figured out in the course of the movie amazed you the most?
- Initially, I desired to hold off the film and manage a comparative DNA evaluation of kinship, which would confirm 100% no matter if the trainer Salamanov and Nikola Geshev are the same human being. It turned out that the exhumation has no lawful regulation and is carried out only by order of a prosecutor in the presence of pending preliminary proceedings, which in this case there are none, or at the request of the heirs, that the daskal pursuant to the his bogus identify did not have. These an examination could only be carried out if the state decided to confirm all the facts I have collected and obtain a way to carry out the check.