On the night of Saturday 26 September last year, 20-year-old Sofie Vo Nguyen was found dead in an apartment in Bergen. On the bench is a man of the same age she shared an apartment with.
On the third day of the trial, the brother of the deceased told Nguyen that he had previously watched the murder accused as a friend, and that they used to play together online with a bunch of other friends.
The brother says the defendant often came up with strange questions and that he was a “control freak”.
– Every time he sent strange messages to me, I only replied with meat, says the brother, who says he almost got used to strange messages from the accused.
– He’s weird
When the prosecutor asks him if the accused contacted him in the time before the murder, the brother says that the 20-year-old suddenly wrote to him one day.
– He asked if Sofie was a virgin. He asked everyone in the voice chat (virtual audio call editor’s note) about it. He asks almost everyone he talks to about it, says his brother.
– What did you answer? prosecutor Silje Alsaker Solheim asks.
– I do not know. I do not care. Did not even think about it. Of course it’s nice. He’s a little weird, to be honest.
In addition, the accused is said to have talked about so-called “challenges”. These are challenges that are given either in games or in the gaming community.
– Do you experience that the accused linked killing Sofie to a “challenge”? asks the prosecutor.
– I think he used it as an excuse, says the brother.
Claims he was deeply in love
The accused has previously admitted that he strangled and killed Nguyen, before he tried to take his own life by taking an overdose of Paracetamol.
The man claims he did this because Nguyen is said to have been with his ex-girlfriend again.
In addition, the man is accused of having killed her cat, by putting it in the washing machine where it was left from Saturday to Monday. He must have done this because he was afraid that the meowing would warn the neighbors.
Police believe he also raped Nguyen either before or after her death. He is therefore charged with rape, but this can be changed to an autopsy if the court finds the act proven.
The 20-year-old has strongly denied this charge.
In his explanation, the defendant said that he had known Nguyen since they were 2-3 years old, and that he was deeply in love with her. After several years in which he tried to approach her, the accused believed that in the last couple of years before the murder she agreed to have sex.
The police believe this is wrong. On Tuesday, the prosecutor presented several pieces of evidence and reports that indicated that Nguyen had rejected him several times in the time before the murder.
Believes the defendant was “clingy”
Nguyen’s brother also says he never thought the two had a romantic relationship.
– Sofie cared more about her ex-boyfriend. Everyone knew that.
– How were the defendants against Sofie? asks the prosecutor.
– Small. He chased her, and only followed her, says the brother and adds:
– I thought they were just friends. Sofie did not even look at him as a man. She treated him like a friend, nothing more than that.
The “nonsense” about death
During the trial, several messages have been presented from various social media, which the accused has written to other friends and his brother.
The accused has several times “joked” about death, and said that Sofie must die. According to him, this is just a dark form of humor that is not uncommon in the gaming community he was part of.
His lawyer Erik Johan Mjelde has warned during the trial that the messages that were reproduced are incomplete, taken out of context and easy to misinterpret.
– The challenge with this type of digital printout is that parts of the messages may have been deleted and edited. It can be difficult to get the whole picture of a conversation, says Mjelde and adds:
– When reading these messages, I just want to point out that they are not always complete
The family mourns
The brother says the time after the death has been very difficult for the family.
– They’re broken. They are crying, he says.
The family’s welfare lawyer Einar Råen has previously told TV 2 that the family is characterized by grief and loss, and that it is still difficult for them to understand that Nguyen should pass away in such a dramatic way.
– The family will for a long time carry with them the loss of a daughter, sister and friend, said Råen.
The post Brother about murder accused: – He asked if Sofie was a virgin. He asked everyone about it appeared first on Newsy Today.