The disappearance of a young American who left to discover her country with her fiancé who moved all the United States could end tragically when a body corresponding to the description of Gabrielle Petito has been found.
The FBI made the announcement of the find on Sunday after a successful search at Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.
“Full forensic identification has not been done to 100% confirm that we have found Gabby, but her family has been made aware of this discovery,” FBI agent Charles Jones said in a press conference. .
By asking to respect the privacy of the family, he offered his condolences to the latter.
Leaving New York in July with her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, Gabrielle Petito had given up her job to discover her country for four months in a van.
The 22-year-old Instagrammaker was documenting her love affair on social media.
This idyllic picture was, however, disturbed by a report of domestic violence involving Mr.me Petito and Mr. Laundrie, made to Utah police in August. The officer had then ordered the two youths to spend a night apart in order to calm down.
On September 11, Gabrielle Petito’s family, without news of her since August 30, reported her disappearance.
Her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, who was back with his parents in North Port, Florida, then fell silent.
Although he was considered a person of interest by investigators, he refused to cooperate with the police at the time.
Since the young woman was reported missing, her publications have been particularly analyzed by thousands of users in search of clues.
On Facebook, more than 120,000 people from across the United States have come together to share information and try to unravel the mystery.
The mysterious disappearance moved the United States and went around the world on TikTok, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
But the story took a new turn on Friday night, when authorities learned that Brian Laundrie had not been seen by his parents since Tuesday.
A search was carried out at the house where he lives, and several items were reportedly seized by the police, according to CNN.
On Sunday, around 50 agents from the FBI and the North Port, Florida Police Department were crisscrossing the Carlton reservation to find Brian Laundrie.
Gabrielle’s family lawyer said Brian Laundrie “hasn’t gone missing, he’s in hiding.”
– With AFP
Key dates in the disappearance of Gabrielle Petito
- July 2 | Gabrielle Petito and her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, leave New York City to take a four-month van trip across the United States.
- August 12 | Moab, Utah, police are called in to respond to a “domestic problem” and reckless driving case. On a video broadcast by the police, we see Gabrielle Petito in tears. She reportedly told the officers that she slapped her partner in the face and feared he would leave her in Moab.
- August 23 | Last Facetime call between Gabrielle Petito and her parents.
- August 25 | Last post on Instagram by Gabrielle Petito.
- August 30 | Last text message sent by Gabrielle Petito to her mother: “no service in Yosemite”.
- 1is September | Brian Laundrie is back in Florida, in North Port, alone.
- September 11 | Gabrielle Petito’s family reports the disappearance of the young woman, whom they have not heard from since August 30.
- September 15 | North Port Police report Brian Laundrie refuses to speak. The search at Grand Teton National Park begins to locate Gabrielle Petito.
- September 17 | Brian Laundrie’s parents tell police they haven’t seen their son since September 14.
- September 18 | Research begins at the Carlton Reserve to try to find Brian Laundrie.
- September 19 | A body matching Gabrielle Petito’s description is found in Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming.