The Kongsberg attacker converted to Islam, and the police knew of his radicalization

Police knew him and knew about his possible radicalization, regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud said on Thursday.

Police investigator Ann Irén Svane Mathiassen said police officers knew about the man because of “several different problems” and that “he was in contact with the medical service several times.”

The man confessed to the attacks. He killed five people, four women and one man. They were all between the ages of 50 and 70. He injured two others. Both are in the intensive care unit, but they are not in danger of death, the Norwegian media writes.

Police said police arrived at the scene five minutes later after the first attack, which took place at the Coop Extra supermarket at 6:13 p.m. She spotted the man, but failed to detain him, and as Ole Bredrup Sæverud admitted, the police “lost” him. Meanwhile, the perpetrator continued to attack and kill in other parts of the city center.

22 patrols were involved in the search for the attacker, other reinforcements were on the way. The man was detained at 6.47 pm and the police chief confirmed that he had been detained using warning shots.

When asked why it took the police so long to catch the perpetrator, the police chief replied that it was “a confusing area and many patrols in action.”

In August, the Norwegian secret service warned of a threat from young men who were radicalizing. According to agent Annett Aamond, there were 400 to 500 tips a year.

The post The Kongsberg attacker converted to Islam, and the police knew of his radicalization appeared first on World Today News.

Source link

Leave a Comment