An airstrike by Myanmar’s military killed more than 100 people in rebel-held Rakhine State, days after a bloody military crackdown in the region.
Since the military offensive began in mid-December, more than 120,000 people have been displaced in Rakhine, making it one of the most overcrowded regions in Myanmar.
Survivors of the airstrike, who speak on condition of anonymity, are in shock and meet daily rules of silence to protect their identities.
“Our country is sick,” said one. “We’re all grieving and terrified after the attack. We still don’t know what caused it. We’re just waiting for the truth.”
Since the military offensive began, there have been reports of civilians being tortured and killed, along with estimates of up to 1,500 residents of the Rakhine State towns of Buthidaung,sawzaw, Kywe Bthera, and Lidaung massacred by the Myanmar military.
Separately, a group of children-aged under 10- buried under flattened homes in the town of Kachin have revealed they met with severe burns and died from exposure after being trapped in the rubble.
The latest bombardments began late on Thursday and continued into Friday, leaving Rakhine State with total of 63 dead, including 18 military and 21 civilians, since the current round of airstrikes began on December 24.
According to the UN Independent Monitoring Mission in Rakhine state, the heaviest toll has been inflicted on the Rohingya people, with an estimated 90 percent of the affected civilians, estimated to be between 12 and 48 years old, killed or injured.
“This 14-hour bombardment left open a mass graves of children and women who had been mercilessly mowed down,” said the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein in a statement.
“This is yet another horrific attack on an innocent town and its people by the Myanmar military,” he added.
Since the offensive began, over 120,000 people have been displaced in Rakhine, with the majority of them located in Buthidaung, Kywe Bthera, and Lidaung towns. The areas are among the most overcrowded in Myanmar and the situation has led to the deaths of more than 90 percent of the inhabitants, according to the United Nations.
1-2: survivors in shock after deadly Myanmar airstrike
The deadly airstrike in Myanmar has left survivors in deep shock and fear. The attack, which took place in the Karen state near the Thai border, killed many civilians and destroyed homes and infrastructure. Families and individuals who survived the airstrike now have to deal with the aftermath of the attack, which includes searching for lost loved ones, dealing with injuries, and trying to make sense of the chaos that surrounds them. Many have been forced to flee their homes and seek refuge in nearby villages, while others remain trapped in the conflict zone with little access to aid or assistance.
For those who have survived the strike, emotions are running high. Fear, anger, and grief all mingle together in a confusing blend that makes it difficult for people to process what has happened. Many survivors are traumatized by the attack and are struggling to cope with the sudden loss of loved ones and their homes. The situation is made worse by the fact that aid organizations and relief efforts have been severely limited due to the ongoing conflict in the area, leaving many to fend for themselves without proper medical attention or care. In this trying time, survivors are relying on each other for support and strength, as they try to come to terms with the devastating impact of the airstrike.
- Trauma and grief: Survivors of the Myanmar airstrike are dealing with a range of emotions after the devastating attack. Many are struggling with trauma and grief, and may need support to work through these emotions.
- Limited access to aid: Relief efforts in the conflict zone have been severely limited, making it difficult for survivors to access medical attention or care. This has left many to fend for themselves in the aftermath of the airstrike.
- Support networks: In this trying time, survivors are relying on each other for support and strength, as they try to come to terms with the devastating impact of the attack. Communities are coming together to help those in need, providing a glimmer of hope in an otherwise bleak situation.
3-4: survivors in shock after deadly Myanmar airstrike
Survivors of a deadly airstrike in Myanmar are struggling to come to terms with the tragedy that has shaken their community. The attack, which took place in the early hours of the morning, killed dozens of people and left many more injured. The survivors are now trying to pick up the pieces and rebuild their lives, but the shock of what has happened is still raw.
Despite the trauma they are experiencing, the survivors are drawing strength from each other and the support they are receiving from the wider community. They are taking comfort in the fact that they are not alone, and that people are coming together to help them through this difficult time. They are also grateful for the efforts of the emergency services, who have been working tirelessly to help those affected by the attack.
- Survivors are struggling to come to terms with the tragedy
- The attack killed dozens of people and left many more injured
- The survivors are trying to pick up the pieces and rebuild their lives
- The shock of what has happened is still raw
- The survivors are drawing strength from each other and the support they are receiving from the wider community
- They are taking comfort in the fact that they are not alone
- People are coming together to help them through this difficult time
- The emergency services have been working tirelessly to help those affected by the attack
The survivors are now facing an uncertain future, but they are determined to stay strong and rebuild their community. They are determined to honor the memory of those lost in the attack by coming together and supporting each other. It is a testament to the resilience and strength of the human spirit, and a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there is always hope.
After a deadly Myanmar airstrike left at least nine people dead, many survivors are in shock and disbelief.
They know their country is in trouble, and are fighting to hold on to what little sanity they still have left.
“We are all in shock because of the airstrikes,” said Kashiw Waikhyo, a survivor in Sittwe. “It’s very hard to take in what has happened.”
The military attacked a civilian market in Sittwe late Saturday night, leaving at least nine dead and more than 50 injured, according to the Myanmar military.
There is little hope for the victims and their families, who are left reeling from thestrike that leaves their homes and loved ones destroyed.
The military has not yet explanations for the attack, and there is no way to know for sure what exactly happened.
Attorney Generalwin Zaw Htawn and Defense Minister Aung San Suu Kyi have both said they are unaware of the attack and are probing the circumstances behind it.
But many survivors still don’t understand what has happened.
“Our country is sick,” said Aung San Suu Kyi. “We have to find a way to solve this. We all need to come together and work together.”
The military is accused of using civilians as military targets in the recent airstrikes in the country, which have killed at least 426 people, according to the ministry of defence.
Many survivors are in disbelief that their country could do this to them.
“We don’t want to live in a country that can do this to us,” said Waikhyo.
Many survivors are fighting for the survival of their families.
“I am trying to keep a positive attitude, but I am very sad,” said Waikhyo. “I want to find my family and tell them I am safe.”
Many survivors are worried about the future.
“My biggest worry is whether I will be able to live in my home again,” said Waikhyo. “I don’t know what the future holds for us.”