It is maybe the most curious monument in the neighborhood. Walled over an place of three meters by 3, with a temperature vane about twelve meters large, it stands on the Haaggasse below Lohr Castle. "Tower-formed quarry stone making with pyramid roof, temperature vane, marked '1920'", reads the temporary description of the preservation of the monuments. The previous transformer tower, now 100 a long time outdated, represents the electrification of the town and the latest turning position of this energy in Lohr. A milestone in this progress, but not the only one.
pioneers and slackers
Lohr was fairly late: Marktheidenfeld was now connected to the electrical power grid in 1903. "A electrical power plant was created by Georg Martin right here in the Hafenlohr valley around Windheim," is documented in the Trunk Chronicle from Marktheidenfeld. "Marktheidenfeld has had electrical lights on local streets since January 1903, consisting of 25 lamps." Community properties and a lot of personal residences are now also run by energy.
6 yrs later on, the then mayor of Gemünden, Otto Christin, confident a personal contractor to develop a electricity plant. Karlstadt had currently obtained energy from the Portland cement plant, but then, curiously, took a various route: in 1906 the city fathers did not prolong the electrical power offer agreement and opted instead for fuel, in full. countertrend. A random range from the district: Roden received electrical power in 1918, Birkenfeld the following yr, and Steinfeld followed in 1926.
Who was the to start with to have electric power in Lohr?
In advance of the building of the turret, there was only electric power in Lohr in some areas: from all over 1890 in Rexroth and considering the fact that 1908 also in the sanatorium and nursing residence. In the then extremely-contemporary consultant setting up in Maase, developed in 1903/04 by the cement maker Victor Maase, there were previously installations for electric lights in the rented flats. Spessarter Hohlglaswerke GmbH, the glass manufacturing unit that now belongs to Gerresheimer, experienced experienced a water generator due to the fact 1906, which created electric power for the lights of the full manufacturing unit.
In the course of this period of time, however, the streets and squares of Lohr have been lit by 85 gas lanterns, till the glassworks closed in 1919. Acquired the top-quality iron hammer, which the Rexroth business had closed 19 several years earlier. Glashütte manager Gustav Woehrnitz had the buildings refurbished, transformed them into enterprise flats and experienced two turbines put in in the hammer mill. These generated significantly extra electrical energy than necessary for the foundry's desires: the corporation equipped Kreis AG (later on Überlandwerke Unterfranken), which experienced equipped the town with electrical energy considering the fact that December 1920.
Where by stood the 2nd, equivalent turret
Towers these types of as Haaggasse served as intermediate stations. A next similar building was situated on the former Zimmerplatz, in which the NSDAP bash headquarters was created in the 1930s, made use of by the Purple Cross rescue station from 1990 to 2017 and transformed into a dental follow in 2019.
Energy, which was shipped in 9000 volt superior voltage overhead lines, was reworked into these 220 volt very low voltage towers. The peak was vital for the overhead electrical power strains, the modest footprint was enough for the transformer. This drew focus to his acoustic do the job: the steel plates positioned future to each and every other in its main created a hum as a result of the vibration, which could also be listened to from the outside.
The defense of the monuments stops demolition
A one particular-piece main would have overheated, describes Lothar Vormwald. The male from Sendelbach, born in 1953, is a qualified significant present-day technician and is now the owner of the transformer turret. The city required to demolish it in 2001, but the State Business office for the Preservation of Monuments intervened.
The turret has fascinated Vormwald given that he was an apprentice. In 2004 it housed a fraction of its 6,000-piece insulator selection - in what is arguably the smallest museum in the nation, each measuring 6 sq. meters on two amounts, and the to start with of its variety. museum backyard. It welcomes around 400 guests a calendar year to the very small sandstone constructing, which is a milestone in the record of city improvement.
fuel as opposition
It marks the transition from gas to energy. The 1867 Lohr Fuel Plant was so dilapidated right after Entire world War I that a new constructing would have been vital. As an alternative, given that 1920 the metropolis has used electrical power from the Eisenhammer on the one hand and an offer you from the Thuringian gasoline corporation on the other to get hold of gas from Karlstadt. A higher-stress gasoline pipeline was hence built for this, perhaps the very first between two German towns. In addition, a fuel boiler was built in Sedelbach, but in 1965 it served its function and was demolished. Given that then, Lohr has been using lengthy-assortment fuel.
The electrification, nonetheless, continued tirelessly. In 1939, the communities of Laudenbach, Lohr, Karlburg, Karlstadt, Mühlbach, Veitshöchheim and AG für Licht- und Kraftversorgung, Munich, a subsidiary of Thüringer Fuel AG, Energieversorgung Lohr-Karlstadt und Environment GmbH, merged.
When the railway went electrical
In 1957 it was the change of the Aschaffenburg - Würzburg railway line: 70 million marks had been invested in the 90 kilometers. With the begin of the wintertime timetable, electric coach functions commenced, in the beginning for freight trains. "Passenger trains will steadily be equipped with electric locomotives by the summer of 1958," Lohrer Zeitung declared at the time.
The title followed five decades afterwards: "Electricity for Rural Parts". The 34th steel pylon for overhead traces was erected in the Lohr district. It ought to be 42 in total. They continue to guide to the substantial substation on the edge of federal freeway 26 in between Lohr and Sackenbach, which was set into procedure in 1965.
Provided these dimensions, a person can smile at the defense of the monuments for the tiny saved turret in Haaggasse. Many of its form ended up demolished, this sort of as the a person on the Wombach village sq.. Many others have been transformed, for example, as housing for bats, as in 2011 in the Steinbach district of Lohr. Some have even been supplied an further function, such as the majestic transformer manufacturing unit driving the Marktheidenfeld brewery, which, continue to in procedure, also serves as an advertising and marketing medium for metropolis advertising and marketing.
On the record of the most wonderful transformation properties in Europe
In specific quarters, nevertheless, the turret enjoys recognition. It can be discovered in the list of "Europe's most wonderful reworking homes" compiled by mates of the complex constructions.
Studying recommendations: Did you miss the beginning of the series? Sections of the sequence that have been posted so considerably can be uncovered at www.mainpost.de/geschichte_msp